There are many different types of insulation including PIR, PUR, phenolic, stone or glass wool, expanded polystyrene, sheep’s wool, cellulose as well as other more niche products.
When deciding which insulation to use there are some important things to consider
- Does it have third party certification, such as a BBA certificate? This will ensure that it is suitable for use in a particular application and that it meets all requirements under the building regulations including fire safety, structural and exposure requirements.
- Can thermal performance targets of nZEB or Passivhaus be met without having to increase space requirements?
- Will the insulation last and perform as intended for the lifetime of the building?
- What targets need to be achieved? Is acoustic performance or is compressive loading important?
- The Environmental Product Declarations from individual manufacturers
Although IMA only represents the PIR and PUR insulation industry, the links below give information on some different insulation types.